Cleft lip and cleft palate are congenital deformities that occur early in pregnancy. As a result of this defect, a lip or mouth of the baby do not form properly during pregnancy. There is a shortage of tissue in the mouth due to clefting, so the available tissue does not join together. A cleft lip may just affect the one side of the lip or both side. It can range from a small cut to a wide gap that reaches to the nose. A cleft palate, on the other hand, is a notch in the mouth. Book an Appointment today to discuss the case with Dr Sobti who provides the Best Cleft Lip Surgery In Delhi.
We provide the initial cleft treatment as well as correction of other residual deformities.
- Cleft Lip
- Residual Deformity correction
- Creation Of Adequate And Symmetric Vermilion
- Correction Of Deformity in nose Due To a Cleft Lip And Midfacial Defect
- Scar Reduction
Who Gets Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate?
Cleft lip is a birth defect which can occur with or without cleft palate and it affects one in 700 newborns every year. Additionally, it is the fourth most common defect in the US. The residents that record the maximum number of cleft lip defects are Latino, Asian, or Native American descent. The cleft lip defect both with and without a cleft palate occurs twice in boys than girls. Girls are more prone to the cleft palate without a cleft lip.
What Causes a Cleft palate and Cleft Lip?
The cause of this birth defect is not clearly known and it cannot be prevented. Most researchers think that clefts are due to a combination of hereditary and environmental factors. The chances of the defect in lip increase if a sibling or parent has had the same birth defect. You should consult with a surgeon to get the Best Cleft Lip Surgery In Delhi.
Other possible causes are thought to be
(1) The medications are taken by the mother during her pregnancy. Medications include some acne drugs containing Accutane, and methotrexate, anti-seizure/anticonvulsant drugs, anticancer drugs, antiarthritic and drugs used to treat psoriasis
Difficulties Associated With Cleft Lip and or Cleft Palate
- Eating problems:Meals can pass back through the nose from the mouth because of separation or opening in the palate. Luckily, there are some uniquely designed baby bottles and nipples that can help keep fluids flowing downward toward the stomach.
- Ear infections/hearing loss: Ear infection is more common in children with cleft palate, as they are more likely to fluid build-up in the middle ear. Ear infections if left untreated can cause permanent hearing loss.
- Speech problems: This birth deformity may also result in speech problems. The voice of these children’s may take on a nasal sound, and the speech of those children may be difficult to understand. Not all children have these problems and Best cleft Lip Surgery In Delhi may fix these problems permanently for some. For others, a speech pathologist will work with your child to resolve speech difficulties.
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip Treatment
Surgery for cleft lip depends on the extent of repair needed and it may require one or two surgeries. The initial cleft lip surgery age is 3 months. A cleft palate repairing needs multiple surgeries over a period of 18 years. The first surgery is normally performed at the age of 6 and 12 months.
The initial surgery performed in the child reduces the chance of fluid development in the middle ears by creating a functional palate. It also helps in the proper growth of the teeth and facial bones. Braces are often needed to straighten the teeth once the permanent teeth grow in. The appearance can also be improved with additional surgeries. These surgeries can close the openings between the mouth and nose, realign and stabilize the jaw and help to breathe. Initial surgery leads to some scars that can be removed with the help of surgery which is performed in adolescence. Amulya clinic provides the Best Cosmetic Surgery Clinic In Delhi